Senior Back-end Engineer (Remote UK)
Pack your wellies, we’re hiring!
Breedr; enabling the livestock supply chain to trade smarter, finance faster and grow better animals.
This agtech start up is breaking ground in the $1 trillion global livestock trading industry to bring livestock trading into the digital age. Breedr is building technology which connects farmers, processors and food retailers together to deliver supply chain transparency, traceability and improvements in the economic and environmental impacts of livestock production. We are developing a suite of tools which will help farmers make better informed decisions about sourcing, breeding and animal management, including animal health to deliver a production base fit for the future.
With are extensive experience in agriculture supply, food processing, and grocery retail we have seen first hand the impacts of the lack of relevant technology, tools and intel to make the best decisions. Based on this, Breedr has been founded; founded to revolutionise red meat production for the greater good.
We are now looking to extend our team to deliver significant positive impacts to the industry.
We are looking for an experienced back-end engineer who has extensive experience in Python and Django. You will work closely with the Head of Engineering and existing backend team to help Breedr deliver a performant, scalable and resilent platform to support the front-end applications and analytics requirements.
A commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and
quality product is important, but you are foremost someone who is excited by programming and engineering, someone who is continually learning, both new technologies and better ways of using older ones.
We have a focus on continual improvements, running through quality, scalability, resilience and availability. We strive for autonomous engineering teams, who self manage and self organise. We have a blame free environment to engender the freedom to take risks, balanced by the need to take ownership and accountability.
This is a remote role (we are a completely distributed company), but we do try and get together when we can (normally fortnightly when possible).
What You’ll be Doing
• Be part of a vertical feature team delivering on product features and
• Help drive strategic and tactical architectural direction
• Be a point of authority for all things back-end
• Support the dev ops and QA functions.
• Collaborate within the tech team, and cross functionally with product,
marketing and customer support.
• Adopt streamlined and lean processes working with skill and pace to deliver the most appropriate technical solutions.
• Continuously improve our technology stack, tools, and processes.
• Provide technical insights and advice to help inform our roadmap.
• Experience in web application development using Python and the Django
• Experience in relational database technologies including PostgreSQL
• Experience in REST API and GraphQL Development
• Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or Google Cloud
• Familiarity with container technologies such as Docker
• Passion for writing clean, modular, well-documented, well-tested, readable and reusable code
• Understanding of software development practices such as agile development, testing and peer reviewing.
• Familiarity around DevOps – Git, CI/CD, containerisation and server
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Organisational and time management skills; ability to manage workload
and effectively allocate appropriate time to a range of tasks
• Project management and communication skills
… Bonus Points For
• Knowledge of Go
• Microservice and monolithic architecture
Package and Benefits
- Salary between £70-90K depending on experience
- Share options
- Unlimited Holiday
- Health and life insurance
- Wellbeing allowance
Please send your CV to email@example.com